Commando (1985)

JMix
This film is so full of plot holes and plot contrivances that it is surprising that it was released they include:

SUPER MAJOR PLOT HOLE

Matrix, the protagonist, drops from an aircraft wheel well during the takeoff. Considering that the airplane had to be traveling between 150-180 mph when this occurred, considering that Matrix fell between 50-75 feet and considering that he landed on his back in what appears to be less than three feet of water, it's almost a certainty that he would have been killed.

Not only is not even severely injured, he manages to walk away from this without a scratch.

And when he falls he drops almost straight down. This violates the laws of physics as he was traveling forward and should have continued to do so when he fell. (momentum)

SUPER MAJOR PLOT HOLE

Matrix and Karen run into a telephone pole driving so fast that it it seriously damages the front end, neither are wearing seat belts yet neither are, injured nor killed. At the very least they should have been thrown through the windshield or ejected from the vehicle.

Major Plot Hole

Although Cindy, a character in the film is standing no more than 20-25 feet away from Matrix on a  deserted road when he drops Scully off the edge of the cliff screaming to his death, she asks Matrix what happened to him. (?)

You mean you didn't see or hear me just kill him???

Major Plot Hole

A character in the film who is supposed to a pilot makes numerous errors about aircraft including:

1) Stating that there two different types of fuel for seaplanes and "regular" planes (there aren't)
2) Stating that the aircraft she trained had LCD displays (she uses a Cessna model number which too old even in 1985 to have LCD screens)
3) She guesstimates how much fuel that a flight to destination to which she has never been. Not only is this dangerous, it's foolish as there's no way of knowing wind speeds and how long they might have circle before finding a spot to land.
4) She routinely moves throttles forward and retards them despite this not being always necessary when flying.

Major Plot Hole

Matrix uses Claymore mines to blow up several buildings.

This is completely incorrect as Claymore mines are anti-personnel devices. They propel ball bearings at a high rate of speed to injure and kill human beings; they do not have anything other than small explosive charges in them. Certainly nothing which could be used to destroy a building ( or do anything other than damage its exterior)

Major Plot Hole

For a trained soldier, Matrix makes the rookie mistake of hanging grenades from his webbing gear by their pins. If one of the grenades pulls loose he wouldn't have had time to put the pin back in or run away before it exploded.

Plot Contrivances (SPOILER)

Since the intention of the film's villains was to kill Matrix and his daughter anyway, it's never quite clear why they haven't killed before Matrix comes to rescue her. Or for that matter, when he does.

Plot Contrivances (SPOILER)

Since the film's villains need to make certain that they keep control of Matrix during the 11 hour flight why they didn't contract a private jet to do so is never adequately explained. Had they done this, they could have controlled the situation and ensured that Matrix did as he was instructed.

This obviously didn't occur and Matrix killed them as a result.

Re: Commando (1985)

MyName
You are right with your super plot holes, that it is impossible to survive those, but I think it is unnecessary to question the reality of an '80s Schwarzenegger action movie. We could just give "super plot holes" to any action movie, claiming that in the real life nobody would survive those gunfights.
This movie is so full of action movie clichés, that those make it a parody of the action genre.

Either way these plot holes and mistakes work for the advantage of the movie for me.

Re: Commando (1985)

JMix
Hey…when Twilight and After Earth (which are complete crapsacks) are called for their plot holes, the veterans can't be spared...

Re: Commando (1985)

G-Man
I agree with JMix on this one.
I have the ability to just sit back and enjoy a good action movie (hell, I liked the "A-Team" movie), but after seeing these movies for so long, you just have to start tearing them apart and exposing them for the crap they are.

By the way, I think the reason that they put Matrix on a commercial jet was under the assumption that if he were confined on a jet with innocent passengers, he would behave himself. It kind of makes sense.

I love the part where the guy who is bulky enough to pick up a phone booth is still light enough to use those decorations in the mall made of paper or some other flimsy material as a Tarzan vine to land perfectly on the elevator.

Re: Commando (1985)

Rob Lee
Well... there's already a bunch of SUPER MEGA Plot Holes on the first post there, guess there's nothing wrong with chucking a minor one???

Minor Plot Hole

The cops that arrested Arnie in the gun store didn't even bother to handcuff him, for one thing he's a mountain of muscle, another thing he broke into a fucking gun store, for fuck's sake!!! ><

(Man, I just fucking love this movie so much XD but yes, it's a really dumb popcorn actioner with more plot holes than onscreen deaths. I've lost count how many times I watched it, and new plot holes keep popping up with each viewing)

Re: Commando (1985)

Randomhero
Main bad guy boss: "we had to go to great lengths to find you.. like faking Bennett death so we could follow Kirby to where you were"

However they opened fire on matrix and his daughter as soon as Kirby leaves... how did they get there so quick??

Re: Commando (1985)

lionhead
they followed Kirby...