Factual errors, nomological impossibilities, etc. in real-word stories

Factual errors, nomological impossibilities, etc. in real-word stories

bell-x1
This post was updated on .
Why aren't there simple factual errors and impossibilities among the classification of types of movie plot holes you recognize?

You say "we are interested in factually provable problems in stories", but your classification focuses mainly on internal contradictions. Amongst the categories you do recognize, the closest one to factual errors are "plot contrivances". But some events or non-events in films aren't just contrived; they simply don't happen in the real world – which is indeed a problem when the story doesn't play in a fictional universe.

I came here because some plot credibility problems affected my ability to fully enjoy Buried. For example, the battery of the protagonist's cellphone lasts longer than believable, given the dwindling battery bar displayed. Or the protagonist is gasping for breath at one point because oxygen is so low, but then the oxygen still lasts for another hour or so without him having trouble breathing.

Re: Factual errors, nomological impossibilities, etc. in real-word stories

bell-x1
I liked the idea of this website.
Wasn't aware that the message board is so rarely frequented as it evidently is, though.

Re: Factual errors, nomological impossibilities, etc. in real-word stories

JMix
Yes, this site is very lightly used it seems and edited somewhat infrequently. I have posted more on here in a few days than most other people have in its existence.

For a page whose search term gives it such a high position when using Google, that's very odd.