Iron Man 3 plot holes

light-hearted
I just want to say some of these aren't plot holes. The bit about him defending his house isn't a hole because a)his house was attacked way too quickly after he gave away his address to defend it and buy radar and stuff b)he was wearing the suit when he came to the door i.e. he had the suit to defend himself, c) in the movie Pepper and May are trying to make Tony leave to defend him from the Mandarin but he doesn't want to go and d) he wouldn't have noticed the helicopters coming anyway because he was talking to people.
The bit when the girl touches Rhodes-I'm fairly certain that was electricity, not heat thereby frying/over-riding the suit's circuitry.
I don't think that the president knew how to use the suit, like Pepper. She had no idea what she was doing when she wore it for the first time and I'm fairly certain you can't just turn them on.
The movie actually says, I'm not even joking,it says in the epilogue thing that he can now remove the arc due to recent advances in medicine. Which happened recently. Meaning that he could now take out the reactor.
Also, I think the sound of a house falling into he water and the fact she was deafened by the explosions means that Pepper wouldn't hear the sound of Tony leaving the water.

Re: Iron Man 3 plot holes

Movie Critic Next Door
Even discounting those, the movie is still full of plot holes, and I have to admit that I was pretty disappointed in the film overall... though I seem to be the only one.  As for the attack on the house, however, it seems to me that Jarvis at the very least must always be on guard, so it's odd that absolutely no alert was given until Maya pointed out the helicopters.

A few that I noticed:

-->During the climactic final battle (which needed to be a lot shorter, by the way), Tony tells Rhodey that he can't have a suit because they're all coded to him, Tony.  Which makes sense as a security measure, though it does seem like there should be an emergency override of some sort, too.  Except that can't be entirely true, since Pepper uses a suit (albeit awkwardly), and Jarvis is able to propel the Mark 42 onto Killian.

The first could possibly be explained by Pepper being 'approved' (though if that was the case it would have been nice if they had shown us a little clip of her being scanned or something), but that doesn't explain how he could put the suit onto the bad guy.  If the coding only applies to the actual using of the suit, but Tony can slap one onto anyone he pleases with just a thought, well, that makes less sense as a security measure.  (Especially since Tony was summoning suits in his sleep.  He might easily have slapped one on the mail carrier or something.)

The only other explanation I could think of was that Tony was just plain lying to Rhodey... which I could see under less dangerous circumstances, but here that would be a bit harsh even by his standards.

-->The Extremis soldiers, according to the Marvel wiki for the movie characters, have only heat powers, nothing electrical.  So while it makes sense that Killian could 'burn' Rhodey out of the Iron Patriot suit, given that there was plenty of time for him to heat the armor up, it doesn't make sense that the other suits are destroyed / disabled merely by destroying one glove or other small portion of them.

-->The Mark 42 suit has a bad battery and can't be easily recharged?  Really?  Shouldn't he have the power sources for these things all straightened out by now?

-->Jarvis, normally the sensible one who tries to keep Tony from doing anything too crazy goes completely bonkers in activating the flight plan to Tennessee and sending Tony on his merry way -- while he's completely unconscious.  While I understand the wisdom of letting the world think Tony is dead at that point, it would have been much more reasonable for Jarvis to take him someplace nearby where he could hide until he recovered -- and also could make sure that the suit would have enough power to get him to Tennessee AND BACK instead of having only enough juice for a one-way trip.

(The purple 'grenade', though, actually looked like a Christmas tree ornament, so that's probably why he wasn't afraid to pick it up... though you would think that a presumably rough, tough security guard would be more likely to scoff and kick it away.)

Re: Iron Man 3 plot holes

Manni
I'm not trying to defend the movie by any means, there were plenty of plot holes and overall I left unsatisfied. However...

The only suit that got put on other people was the Mark 42, which was stated multiple times as being a prototype and not fully combat-ready, and only Tony used it for offense

-Tony put it on Pepper during the house attack simply as a necessity for defense, because having a half-ready suit is better than no suit

-Tony put it on Killian in order to blow it up and kill him

-It's possible Tony didn't want Rhodes using a prototype for offense which might end up doing more harm than good. Fighting people with firey superpowers is a different situation from protecting Pepper from flying concrete.

And in the case of the bad battery, I'll reiterate that the Mark 42 was a prototype that could be easily dismantled and had individual propulsion devices so each piece could fly independently. It might not have been outfitted for a full blown mini-arc reactor at the time Tony's house was attacked. I doubt car manufacturers start out their concept cars with a 500 hp engine. Or perhaps that suit required MORE power with those extra bells and whistles.

The rest is all pretty spot-on. I think I groaned out loud when Killian breathed fire, this one went totally off the rails into sci-fi land.