Monsters, Inc.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Monsters, Inc.

Dyolf Knip
> Minor Plot hole: It is apparently a terrible crime to expose the monster world to humans. But when monsters commit such crimes, they are banished to the human world. Which exposes the monster world. Ingenious.

Not if they are banished to remote, desolate hellholes AND believe that any contact with humans will result in their death from our innate toxicity.  That said, Antarctica or outer space would probably be safer.

> Minor Plot hole: Being banished from the monster world means absolutely nothing when you can easily return to it via the closet doors in children’s bedrooms. It’s like if you were exiled from a country with a free first class ticket to come back.

Provided you are willing to risk being seen by toxic humans long enough to happen to be standing in front of a closet on the human side at the exact moment that the door's monster world counterpart is on the scare floor, sure.  Considering how many doors are in the racks, powered down, vs how many are actively powered up, that's potentially a long time waiting.  The real plot hole is that Sully happened to find one so quickly, or that the company was scaring so many kids in that one village at the same time.

> Major Plot hole: It is established that doors are created to enter a child’s bedroom via the closet and reentering that closet while the door in the monster world is online will return you to that world. However, during the climactic chase scene of the film, the screenwriters took a big monster dump all over this logic and made it so doors could be accessed without being online – meaning all humans could potentially reach the monster world at any time – even though it never happened. Try and make sense of it because I give up.

I can only conclude you didn't actually watch the movie.  Boo screaming (in delight, enjoying the "roller coaster ride") almost powered up one door, but her laughter powered up all the doors in storage, and kept them running long enough for the chase scene.  It was a really cool scene, the red lights all flipping on as the sound spread throughout the warehouse.  How did you miss it?

> Plot contrivance: The Abominable Snowman tells Sully the village is a three day hike from where they are on the mountain. Three days of hiking does not become thirty seconds just because you are on a sled.

Dunno, that sled was going stupid fast.  3 days hiking a rugged mountain could conceivably be a bare handful of miles, a distance a sled moving at radically unsafe speeds really could cover in just a few minutes.  The actual plot hole is that even if Mike & Sully met the Snowman, went to his cave, had their conversation, got down the mountain, into the village, and through a door in (I dunno) 20 minutes (?), that's still way longer than Randall and Waternoose would need to set Boo up in the scream extractor.

> Unaddressed Issue: Doors are constructed in the monster world to enter the human world. They are connected to the other world via a closet door in a child’s room, so monsters only need to construct one side of the portal. So with that said, who the fuck built the door in the snowy mountain where Mike and Sully are banished?

Dude, look at the thing.  It is rugged, durable, specifically built to withstand the elements.  Probably a commando construction team (hands up everyone who would love to have that on their resume!) snuck in through that same village when some of its occupants were out, hiked up the mountain, built the door, hooked it up to its monster counterpart, then came through it, thus giving the company an easy way of disposing of troublemakers.

> Why do monsters believe children are toxic when contact from Boo does no harm to Sully whatsoever?

Did you know that South Koreans are often deathly afraid of electric fans?  Literally millions of them firmly believe that if you sleep in a room with an electric fan running, it will kill you.  They believe this despite not one single case of a fan causing sudden death from hypothermia or asphyxiation or some such.  And despite fans being a common-as-dirt household appliance for decades, many still stick to that belief.  They actually sell fans with built-in timers so that they won't be accidentally left running for hours.  It's truly amazing the crap people can believe, particularly if the thing they are told to be scared of is not commonly encountered and there's a powerful, well-funded, and expert-on-the-subject organization actively encouraging the misconception.  Make what parallels to religion, bigotries, and various "Wars on [thing]" as you will.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Monsters, Inc.

Comptinator
This post was updated on .
Hello there,

As the write of that plot hole list I feel obliged to explain myself on some of the points you made.

1. I can see what you mean, but it is a bit of a flimsy punishment. You'd think a monster stuck in the human world would sooner or later find out that humans aren't toxic and their very presence there could damage the integrity of the monster world.

2. I agree with you on this one. I mean no disrespect to the admin of this site, but I did write that plot hole in my initial list and it was removed for unknown reasons.

3. I understand your point, and while I once again mean no disrespect to the admin of this website, I did not write that plot hole. My original description for the plot hole was criticizing how the doors contradicted their own logic. They are made to enter the bedrooms of children, but the final chase scene made it seem as if you could open any door and it'd take you anywhere. The monsters are shown walking through conveniently empty houses and opening doors in different rooms which lead to the monster world, and it seems confusing as to why so many doors are built for the same houses and not even for children's bedrooms. For unknown reasons, the plot hole I wrote was edited to form the one seen in the published post and I'm not quite sure why.

4. I see your point but I respectfully disagree with you on that one. Sully covered the distance in a stupidly quick amount of time on a sled which shouldn't negate the hiking distance of 3 days.

5. Yes, but it's a silly plot point that has no relevant history to it. They just comically scream and run when kids appear, despite no evidence that kids are toxic. Not only that, but Sully was touched by Boo the minute they met and he still believes she will poison him despite their initial contact having no ill effects.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Monsters, Inc.

Comptinator
Sorry, I missed the one the one about the door. I still find it absurd that a door is built in the middle of nowhere with no explanation, especially when you consider doors connect to man made doors in the human world.
Loading...