Some revising for "The Dark Knight"

JPS

Some revising for "The Dark Knight"

JPS
There are five plot holes listed for "The Dark Knight" that I will argue are, in fact, soundly justified:

"Minor Plot hole: At the beginning of the movie, the Joker inserts a grenade in the Bank's manager mouth. There was nothing holding his hands together or the grenade in his mouth. Why did he keep it there? Grenade fetish perhaps."

The manager was clearly paralyzed, and wouldn't want to risk shocking the grenade into detonating by trying to remove it from his mouth.

"Minor Plot hole: The Joker escapes the bank in a school bus conveniently placed in a gap of other school buses that don't seem to mind another bus coming out of a bank's wall. Since the movie's soundtrack feature voices of kids in the school buses, we know the drivers are not part of his plan."

How can we be sure? The Joker is a gifted strategist and persuader (given the lunatics he convinces to join his cause), and at one point supplants a bus driver with one of his henchmen when Gotham General is destroyed. Is it not impossible that he would be able to replace a group of school bus drivers with "substitutes?"

"Major Plot hole: The Joker's plan is beyond human. He knows Batman is gonna save Harvey so he shoots a bazooka in the direction of Harvey's vehicle because he knows Batman is gonna jump out of nowhere to intercept the shot. He knows how quick Batman is and how a-little-less-quick the police is so that he can send Batman to save Harvey and send the police to fail to save Rachel. And worst of all, he knows that a police officer will stay with him INSIDE his prison cell so that he can take him hostage and eventually kill everyone. If the police officer was not retarded, he would have been watching him from outside the cell, from the other side of the mirror-window."

This all assumes The Joker actually has a plan, which he confesses he doesn't.  While he is most certainly not trustworthy, it is completely logical to assume he has a penchant for improvising, as long as it harms the people of Gotham.  The Joker probably didn't plan to attack the Tumbler, but an RPG directed at either Dent or Batman is favorable to his cause either way.   He also likely never planned for either Batman or Gordon to save either Dent or Dawes, since any scenario is beneficial to him, unless both are rescued.  Likewise, The Joker didn't "create" Two-Face, but simply enabled him after seeing how the incident affected Dent.  As for the guard in the cell, the Joker could have escaped through the weakened window with a solid swing of a chair.

"Plot contrivance: When the Joker made his attempt on the life of the mayor, no policemen noticed that the honor guard were suddenly totally different people that no one knew? A threat has been made on the life of the city's leader and the security is lax enough for the honor guard to be kidnapped with no one knowing and a new team of guys to take their place... no one notices?"

This didn't stop the Joker from capturing Dent and Dawes.  The mob has considerable control of the GCPD, and while it is unlikely that they were able to control all of the security at the event, it is not impossible, either.

"Plot contrivance: Right after Batman saved Rachel from her fall, the movie cuts to a completely new scene the next day. We never know what happened to the Joker in Wayne's Mansion who was still trying to find Harvey Dent."

This is a narrative ellipsis, not a contrivance or plot hole.  Either Batman hooked his way back up the building, or the Joker regrouped and left the scene (perhaps even considering Dent to be Batman at this point), since all we know is that nothing heinous occurred afterwards.  Just because we don't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Re: Some revising for "The Dark Knight"

apugarnesh1947
Major Plot hole: The Joker's plan is beyond human. He knows Batman is gonna save Harvey so he shoots a bazooka in the direction of Harvey's vehicle because he knows Batman is gonna jump out of nowhere to intercept the shot. He knows how quick Batman is and how a-little-less-quick the police is so that he can send Batman to save Harvey and send the police to fail to save Rachel. And worst of all, he knows that a police officer will stay with him INSIDE his prison cell so that he can take him hostage and eventually kill everyone. If the police officer was not retarded, he would have been watching him from outside the cell, from the other side of the mirror-window.
The previous post already criticized this supposed "major plot hole". I'd like to further critique it.

The point of the Joker is *precisely* that he hasn't brilliantly and ingeniously masterminded every little detail of his scheme. He does not know what exactly is going to happen next. He improvises and takes whatever his enemies give him. He doesn't care if he lives or dies, succeeds or fails, with the Joker there is no rhyme nor reason.

I thought the filmmakers already made these points quite explicit, but maybe not. Examples of what the filmmakers did:

(1) Near the middle of the film, the Joker stands in the middle of the road as Batman's Bat motorcycle comes hurtling towards him. "Come on, do it, I want you to hit me," is what he says repeatedly, as he stands there awaiting his fate. But of course Batman instead does the idiotic/noble/legally correct thing of swerving to the side.

(2) Near the end of the movie, the Joker is send flying off a building. Instead of screaming in terror like most normal people would do, he instead goes "wooo hahahahahaha" as he falls towards what seems like certain death. Then of course Batman saves his ass with one of those wire things.
And here's what the Joker says, "You just won't kill me, out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. And I won't kill you, because you're just too much fun."