Woman in Black & Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol Plotholes

Ben

Woman in Black & Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol Plotholes

Ben
First off, I just found this site (after finally watching Skyfall and googling to see if other people saw the same plot holes as I did), and I'm enjoying reading through it.

I haven't read through every entry yet (partly because I haven't seen all of the movies listed), but I noticed a couple of items that I had to comment on.

In the Woman in Black entry it's listed as a "minor plot hole" that the Jeromes had another child at all instead of using protection. The movie takes place in Edwardian times. At that time using protection wasn't typically an option - contraceptives were, at best, considered sinful (at worst, they were illegal). Abortion was the most common form of birth control, and that was definitely both illegal and considered to be sinful. In other words, it's not a plot hole at all - it's a reflection of the time period.

In the Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol entry it's listed as a "plot contrivance" that opening the vault door in the Kremlin doesn't make enough noise to alert everyone. I worked in a bank for over 10 years - several different branches in fact. For the vast majority of that time I was the one who opened the vault door every morning, and closed it again every night. The only time the vault door ever made any noise (aside from the relatively quiet noise of the bolts engaging or disengaging) was when I let the door swing freely instead of keeping it under control - either allowing it to hit the massive door stopper that prevented it from smashing through the wall, or allowing it to clang shut. If a vault door is opened with any care at all, it doesn't make any noise. I'm actually talking about 7 different vaults that I used to open and close over the years too, so I'm not just basing this on one magical vault door.

Re: Woman in Black & Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol Plotholes

JMix
Actually contraceptives, especially prophylactics, were in use in Edwardian England. They had to be, especially for the upper classes, as syphilis was very common (and still very fatal) in that era. It also wasn't curable until roughly 25-30 years into the future. There's also the fact that many people in those times did use birth control as wealthier families often had fewer children than could be explained by any other means than contraception.